Traditionally, spring is a good time to give the house a deep cleaning. It is also a good time to do the same for your body. While many people think a colon cleanse is enough, the liver works hard every minute to break down and process toxins via Phase I and Phase II detoxification processes. At Evergreen Nutrition we recommend detoxifying all seven systems of elimination: bowel, liver, blood, lymphatic system, kidneys, lungs and skin. We have lots of great cleanses for a variety of needs — from beginner to advanced, as well as targeted — and some other tips for spring cleaning your body.
Renew Life's FIRST CLEANSE is a 14-day program for people who have never cleansed before. It contains whole herbs which are more gentle on the body. If you want to step it up a bit, their CLEANSE SMART 30-day cleanse uses herbal extracts which are more intense. Magnesium hydroxide it also included because it draws water to the colon for ease of elimination. After an initial full-body cleanse, you may want to try a targeted cleanse for heavy metals, parasites or candida, for example.
Garden of Life's WILD ROSE HERBAL D-TOX is a 12-day cleanse developed by Dr. Terry Willard, Clinical Herbalist. It is not only an effective cleanse, but it comes with a list of foods to enhance the cleansing process. Many tasty recipies can be found online to make this cleanse more interesting and fun.
After an initial full-body cleanse, you may want to do a targeted cleanse such as a liver, kidney or bowel cleanse. Also available are a heavy metal cleanse and a smokers cleanse.
Our cells have bi-phasic detoxification ability similar to that of the liver and homeopathy has a role to play in aiding this detoxification process. Cell salts, or tissue salts, refer to twelve minerals that are necessary for cellular function. These homeopathic preparations are effective in miniscule amounts because they are used directly by the cells without the need for digestion. They nourish and energize the whole body from the cellular level. Cell salts have been used safely and effectively for over two hundred years. Cell salts are easy to use; simply dissolve the sweet-tasting tablets in the mouth or in water.
CALC SULPH (Calcium sulphate) is a cleansing and purifying cell salt that acts as a blood purifier, helping the liver remove waste from the blood. It is also effective throughout the body, facilitating the removal of accumlated non-functional organic matter from the tissues. KALI MUR (Potassium chloride) is another blood cleanser and purifier. It can also be useful for exposure to electromagnetic radiation. It is particularly useful for sluggish conditions and works especially well with Calc. Sulph. Together they can be effective for acne and abcesses, to name a few.
- Drink lots of pure water. A good rule of thumb is to take your weight in pounds and divide by two to get the amount of ounces of water you need daily. For example, 150 divided by 2 is 75, so a 150 pound person would need to drink 75 ounces of water each day to stay properly hydrated and keep the kidneys happy. More water is needed to compensate if you are perspiring heavily or drinking coffee, for example.
- Juicing is a good way to give the digestive tract and the liver a rest while getting lots of nutrients. If juicing is not your thing, you may want to try one of our excellent, nutrient-dense green food products. These greens are alkalizing and cleansing as well as nourishing.
- Exercise gets the lymph and circulation moving and increases perspiration, both of which aid in the elimination of waste products and toxins.
- Dry brushing with a natural bristle brush like Yerba Prima's Tampico Skin Brush is another way to get the lymph and circulation moving.
- Castor oil packs can be helpful for people suffering from constipation.
- Eat clean food. Eat organic foods as much as possible to avoid exposure to pesticide and herbicide residue. This will also help cleanse the soil, air and water around us. For a list of fruits and veggies which are highly sprayed, check out the Environmental Working Group's The Dirty Dozen.
You can help your liver's Phase I detoxification process easily by eating lots of broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and other sulfur-rich brassicas and by taking Vitamin C.
Dry brushing takes only a few minutes but gives great benefits. Brush from the extremities towards the center. Start at the feet and move up the legs using smooth, gentle strokes. Brush from the hands up the arms toward the shoulders. Then brush across your upper back and down the front and back of the torso. Brush the entire surface of the skin except for the face and breasts.
Remember: always use gentle strokes and work towards the center of the body to encourage lymph drainage.
Probably most of us, but some people have a greater toxic load than others. If you smoke, drink coffee or alcohol a cleanse is a good idea. If you eat a highly processed diet or consume refined sugar cleansing can be helpful. Also, people under a lot of stress may benefit from a full-body cleanse.
Our bodies constantly accumulate waste from metabolic processes as well as toxins from food, the environment, cleaning products and body care products. Whether it's the house or your body, springtime is a great time to deep clean.
- Confusion Over Black Pepper Extract
- Zorb Provides EMF Protection
- New Research on Turmeric & Black Pepper
- Tradition + Modern Science = Redd Synergy
- Folate Forms & Functions
- Mushrooms Help Give Bees a Chance
- Adaptogens for stress and sleep
- How to Get a Good Night's Sleep
- Psychobiotics for Mood & Stress Support
- Hippies & Heros in Portland
The information provided here is for educational purposes only. None of the research or evidence presented here is intended as a substitute for consulting an appropriate healthcare professional. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products offered here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you believe that you may have a disease condition, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this or any other dietary supplement.
Although we do our best to keep this website current, always check the product label for the most up-to-date information since product changes may not be immediately updated on our website. Feel free to contact us if you notice any discrepancies. Thank you.